In the greater St. Louis area, too many babies die before their first birthday. In the City and County of St. Louis, the equivalent of 15 Kindergarten classrooms of babies are lost each year. The infant mortality rate in St. Louis is double the national average. We can certainly do better and with your help, we will!
It is the Junior League of St. Louis’ (JLSL) goal to help St. Louis’ smallest thrive in their first year through our Day 366 Initiative. The components to achieving success include education, advocacy and community impact.
Since 2016, JLSL has been working to provide our under-resourced area families with basic baby necessities. What might seem basic to many of us is a luxury to many of our neighbors and has a profound effect on their lives.
- Diapers are not covered under any federal assistance programs
- Day cares require that diapers be provided in order to leave your baby
- No diapers = No daycare = No work = Possible job loss = A cycle of need
- Access to baby necessities is challenging for families without reliable transportation; forcing the reuse of diapers or purchasing small quantities at high prices close by
We are looking for help in collecting the following:
- Diapers size N, 1, 2, 3, 4,5, 6 and training pants (opened packs are welcome)
- Diaper rash cream
- Baby wipes
- Plastic baby bottles (new)
Capitalizing on our 2018 baby necessity drive success wherein we collected over 50,000 items, our 2019 collection drive will run from April 1 through April 30 with a goal of an additional 50,000 items.
Thank you to our community partners who have joined the JLSL in collecting items throughout the month of April:
- Look After Hair Company-Lake Saint Louis
- Café Piazza
- The London Tea Room
- Psi Chi at Lindenwood-Belleville
- Bonboni Home & Gift Co
- Shrewsbury Recreation Department
- Ballas Anesthesia at Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- The Clark Academy of Irish Dance in Crestwood
- We Rock the Spectrum-Fenton
- Vetta Sports-St. Charles
- Grandma’s Playroom
- We Rock the Spectrum-North County STL
- Fifth Third Bank-Clayton
- Fresh Pasture Farms
- Sienna Bast’s 1st Birthday Party
- Junior League of St. Louis
- Jane Bracher’s Birthday Party
- Shana Watkins Photography
- Lily Pulitzer Plaza Frontenac
- Cardinals Staff Office
- Cortex Innovation Center
- Clementines Creamery
- Wellbridge Athletic Club & Spa
- The Flooring Source
- State Farm in Sunset Hills
- Momentum Agency
- Merrill Lynch -2 locations Clayton and Ladue
- Burn Boot Camp-2 locations Manchester and O’Fallon
- Esse Health at DePaul
- Salon Linda G
- 20 Minutes to Fitness-2 locations Clayton and Chesterfield
We hope that by providing basic necessities for St. Louis area families, we can reduce the toxic stress families face on a daily basis, and thus allow our smallest to thrive and grow into tomorrow’s leaders.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the JLSL at 314-822-2344 or Day366@jlsl.org.